Wednesday, October 10, 2012

... and now i'm a pastor ... (life coach, counselor, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, osteopath, quezon city, manila, philippines)


the universal life church (ULC) is an ecumenical, non-denominational organization that has granted me ordination as a religious minister.  the ULC has no traditional doctrine and its stated beliefs are as follows: 


  • Objective: Eternal Progression.
  • Goal: A Fuller Life for Everyone.
  • Slogan: To Live and Help Live.
  • Maxim: "We Are One."

you might have noticed that the ULC beliefs are very general and are applicable to people of whatever religious persuasion.  the ULC does NOT ordain me to be a minister of any particular sect, denomination, or religion.  this suits me quite perfectly because i have no intention of proselytizing, converting, or evangelizing people into a particular faith. 

the ULC simply ordains me INTO THE VOCATION of being a minister, regardless of whatever my religious affiliation or spiritual beliefs are.  again, this suits me just fine because my mere intention in wanting to be a minister is to"minister" to people- "minister," meaning "to help, serve, and attend to people in need."  



as for the matter of me being a "religious" minister, it is a practical religiousity which i espouse wherein love and compassion are manifested through concrete acts of goodness towards others.  James 1:27 states, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

here is what my I.D. looks like:





the organization has also conferred upon me the honorary degrees of doctor of divinity (D.D) and doctor of metaphysics (D.M.).  

a doctor of divinity is simply someone who has had advanced studies in theology and religion,



a doctor of metaphysics (a.k.a. metaphysician) is someone who has taken in-depth philosophical studies on the nature of life and reality.
  


as a life coach and counselor, i am often consulted by people with existential or spiritual issues.  i still subscribe to and live by the tenets of my Christian faith but out of respect for people's spiritual paths, i make sure that i never impose my own religious convictions on my clients.  instead, as their fellow pilgrim on this earth, it is my joyous task and humbling privilege to accompany my clients in their respective spiritual journeys, helping them to overcome blocks to their spiritual growth, and helping them pursue God in ways that are meaningful for them.