"I JUANnder" is gma network's myth-busting/ mystery-solving tv show that challenges widely-accepted, long-held filipino beliefs. susan enriquez and cesar apolinario are hosts of the show and their crew came over to ask me this one question: can a 1-hour massage replace 8 hours of sleep? of course, the answer can only be "of course not!" people have individualized sleep requirements, and need to go through many cycles of sleep (stages 1 to REM) throughout one night. if sleep requirements are unmet, then the body and mind deteriorate.
people often consult me for these types of sleep problems:
(1) initial insomnia- difficulty in initiating sleep
(2) middle insomnia- frequent awakenings in the middle of sleep
(3) terminal insomnia- waking up earlier than usual and then not being able to get back to sleep
(4) unrestful sleep- feeling that the sleep is incomplete even if one's usual sleep requirement has been met or not feeling refreshed upon waking up
(5) superficial sleep- being easily awakened during sleep (or "tulog manok"), having a sense that the mind is still active during sleep (i.e., "gising ang diwa"), or having an awareness or consciousness of one's environment even during sleep
(6) total insomnia- feeling that one has not slept at all throughout the night.
common reasons for insomnia include stress, anxiety (panic attacks), depression, regular alcohol use, intake of caffeine, and for some people, smoking. a complete medical work-up is important for ruling out any medical condition that may cause insomnia.
non-pharmacological ways to overcome insomnia include daytime exercise, stress management techniques, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, brain wave entrainment, music therapy, clinical massage, sleep hygiene practices, and lifestyle modification.
pharmacological treatments include vitamin/mineral supplements, herbal medications, anti-histamines, anti-depressant medications, anti-anxiety medications, sleeping pills, and neuroleptics.