as a certified body-mind fitness coach, i teach exercises which promote self-healing and the integration of body, mind, emotions, and spirit. these exercises have profound anti-aging, stress-relieving, and immune system-boosting effects. some of these exercises include:
- qigong - these simple exercises originated from ancient china. qigong requires a coordination of breath, movement, and visualization. qigong primarily targets the "meridian system" which, in traditional chinese medicine, is the ciruculatory system of "qi" or "life force energy." whenever there are blockages in the meridian system, illness and poor health occurs. qigong ensures a strong and healthy meridian system.
- bioenergetics - developed by psychiatrist alexander lowen, bioenergetics includes a set of exercises for emotions which have been supressed and trapped within the body. medical research has proven that suppressed emotions cause many psycho-somatic illnesses such as asthma, migraine, allergies, sexual dysfunction, acne, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue, and gastro-esophageal refux.
- brain-balancing exercises - based on "brain gym" exercises, pranic yoga, hendrick's radiance exercises, and "neurobic" activities, these exercises are meant to integrate the left (logical) and right (creative) sides of the brain.
- posture correction exercises - these involve stationary (passive) postures and active exercises meant to correct or prevent imbalances or distortions in our posture.
- free-form movement and dance therapy - these exercises allow a personal expression of our emotions and inner state.
- sayaw panalangin - this is a medley of filipino indigenous spiritual dances which use movements as a form of prayer.
with all these life-enhancing body-mind exercises that abound, it's a pity to think that filipinos are familiar only with yoga and pilates.