Sunday, February 24, 2013

... tv5: love is a never-ending story ... (life coach, counselor, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, quezon city, manila, philippines)


edwin morales and i had a discussion about love among old people.  



for me, it is always a heart-warming sight to see old people walking hand-in-hand and still in love with each other.  it tells me that love is real and that real love endures.  



for you younger couples out there whose love for each other still has to go through the test of time, here's a short story to reflect on:
  
Alzheimer's Disease


It was a busy morning at the emergency room when an elderly gentleman in his 80's arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry and had to leave as soon as he could. While taking care of his wound, I asked him why he was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told me that he
 needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I enquired as to her health.

He told me that she had been in the nursing home for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we
 talked, I asked if she would be
 upset if he was a bit late. 

He
 replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him for five years now.

I was surprised and asked him, 'So why do you still go every
 morning, even though she doesn't know you anymore?' 

He smiled as he
 patted my hand and said,

'She sure doesn't
 
know me... but I still know who she is.'

I had to hold back the tears as he left.  I had goose bumps on my arm.  In my mind, all I could think of was... THAT is the kind of love I want in my life.








I hope that the story inspires you to have an undying love for each other. I hope that you grow old together and remain lovers for keeps. 



No comments:

Post a Comment