Friday, May 18, 2012

... art therapy workshop for non-artists in the philippines ... (life coach, counselor, psychotherapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, quezon city, manila, philippines)



the national commission for culture and the arts (ncca), foundation for adolescent development (fad), and the life change recovery center (lcrc) joined hands in offering an art therapy workshop for non-artists, entitled "the art of healing." 




there were over 20 participants of various age groups- teens, adults, and midlifers, and of various backgrounds- street educators, guidance counselors, nurses, religious leaders, and advocacy group representatives.  organized by multi-awarded actress ma. isabel lopez, the workshop was an opportunity for participants to silence and dismiss their "inner adult critic" and coax the "inner child" to surface and be playful once again.




art therapy is not about producing obra maestras.  art therapy is an inward journey to the core of oneself.  the finished art work is not as important as the process of creating it and the insights one gets about one's self.  





here are what some participants had to say about the workshop:


“The art therapy brought out the youth and fun in us. It reminded us that despite life’s uncertainties, you have to enjoy life and learn to smile.”



“I discovered that I should not be afraid of trying and striving hard for me to be able to overcome and be good at something which I am not practicing.”





“It became clearer to me that I don’t have to be afraid of doing something that I am not comfortable with.”



“Self awareness.”



“I think art is a fantastic way to express hidden desires and emotions. This can be a great avenue for people to find out more about themselves and can be a way for them to heal also.”



“I was able to get in touch  with my inner self, identify my inner monster, realized how to face them for me to become more effective counselor.”



“Through art, we can release part of ourselves  that in every piece of art, we can have  an impact to others.”



“I will always be a kid and will always want to have that innocent blissful feeling of childhood.”



“The art of healing healed me through this activity, refreshed my creativity, expressed my emotion, mind and body through art.”