By Dr. Randy Dellosa, Your Online Shrink | Yahoo SHE – Fri, Oct 18, 2013 1:11 PM PHT
Aside from erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation is another sexual problem that afflicts many guys. Men who suffer from premature ejaculation are understandably ashamed of their condition and thus bear their embarrassment in silence. While there are no Philippine statistics on this sexual condition, premature ejaculation is assumed to be a common sexual dysfunction among Filipino males. In fact, in my own clinical practice, a whopping 40% of male patients who consult me due to sexual problems complain of premature ejaculation.
Premature ejaculation is described as follows:
- It is ejaculation which rapidly occurs from sexual excitement despite minimal or no physical stimulation.
- It is ejaculation which occurs before sexual intercourse starts, or as soon as the penis touches the vagina, or immediately after the penis enters the vagina.
- It is ejaculation which rapidly occurs sooner than the man wishes it to happen.
While most men will ejaculate beyond 7 minutes of vigorous vaginal thrusting or manual self-stimulation, premature ejaculators will “explode” in less than 2 minutes, and even as early as 30 seconds.
Premature ejaculation is a humiliating ego-buster for many men. It destroys a man’s self-confidence and can later on result in erectile dysfunction. It robs not only the man of the pleasure of intercourse but his sexual partner as well. Women who want to get pregnant feel frustrated that intercourse gets interrupted even before it has begun. And since premature ejaculation prevents the occurrence of sexual intimacy, relationships get strained and some marriages end up permanently ruined.
Premature ejaculators first experience their dysfunction in their teenage years. Some theorists believe that it is a learned response by young guys who engage in rushed sex acts in order to avoid being caught. Examples of “quickie” sex include sex in a movie theatre, inside a car, on the living room sofa, or while masturbating to internet porn while family members lurk nearby. Some cases of premature ejaculation are suspected to be genetic in origin. But whatever the cause, premature ejaculators are extremely sensitive to mental and physical sexual stimulation, and get easily overwhelmed by their sexual excitement.
Premature ejaculation is best treated by a self-training program which includes:
- Physical exercises for developing control of the sex muscles.
- Breathing and relaxation techniques to be practiced during the sex act.
- Manual techniques and sexual positions that delay the urge to ejaculate.
- Therapeutic masturbation techniques to prolong sexual stamina.
The self-training program is enhanced by combining it with the following treatment strategies:
- Prostate electro-stimulation therapy
- Individual and couples counselling
- Ejaculation-delaying condoms and creams
Premature ejaculation is an exasperating problem which, in the long run, destroys a man’s self-esteem, sexual confidence, and intimate relationships. With prompt and proper treatment, premature ejaculators can prolong their sexual stamina in the bedroom and experience satisfaction in their sex lives.